History about Palazzo degli Uffizi and it's gallery
The Uffizi Gallery, housing one of the finest collections of art in the world today is Florence’s most visited museum. It is housed in the Palazzo degli Uffizi, which was commissioned by Cosimo I of Medici in the year 1560. The building, which was initially designed by the famous architect Giorgio Vasari was later on added to by Bernardo Buontalenti and Alfonso Parigi, with its construction finally finishing in 1581.
Providing The Palazzo degli Uffizi, which was built to be an office of the magistrates of Florence started being used as an art gallery by Francesco de Medici, Cosimo's son, who set aside certain rooms on the upper floors of the building to be used as a museum like structure where objects from his collection could be exhibited. Francesco’s collection, which he started in 1574, was eventually added to be all the succeeding Medicis, most notably Leopoldo de Medici, who is credited with owning almost half of the total number of paintings on display in the gallery today.
It was Leopoldo, who is also credited with having collected the vast number of artist’s self portraits in the museum, and the gallery’s collection of miniatures, which is second only to the world’s largest collection of miniature paintings housed in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The history of the Uffizi gallery and its collection goes back not just to the 16th century, when the gallery was started, but to the 13th century, whose art is displayed in the hallowed corridors of the gallery.
The Medici princes and kings kept on contributing to the gallery from their personal collections till the 18th century, and ended up creating a legacy of some of the finest and exceptional works of art in the world that we can see in the gallery today. In 1737, the collection was made public property by the Medici heirs while in 1782, all the artworks were organized into an ancient picture room, with the museum’s arrangements finally taking a more organized and concrete